Bellingham Goes Ocean Friendly!
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants Program (OFR) is a new initiative developed by the Surfrider Foundation to stop plastic pollution at its source: the consumer. By working closely with restaurants that reduce plastic waste and implement ocean friendly practices, the OFR program highlights their good work in making sustainable choices for our ocean.
Participating Restaurants Must Follow These Four Criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
Restaurants Must Also Choose a Minimum of Three of the Following Criteria as Well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and/or all seafood must be ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all 10 of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
Our Local OFRs:
Interested in becoming a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant Member?
Check out this Guide for Restaurants for specific ways to meet each of the criteria.
Why become an Ocean Friendly Restaurant?
Advertisement to the Bellingham community:
- NWS Website
- NWS email listserv
- Events: launch parties, beach cleanups, etc
- Social media posts on Instagram and Facebook