Northwest Straits Chapter Goes Ocean Friendly!
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants Program (OFR) is a new initiative developed by the Surfrider Foundation to stop plastic pollution at its source. The OFR program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean by reducing reduce plastic waste and implementing ocean friendly practices. The OFR program highlights their good work in making sustainable choices for our ocean.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants Are Committed To:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
- No plastic bags offered with take out or to-go orders and utensils are provided only upon request.
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for alternatives made from other naturally occurring materials and reusables.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants Also Follow at Least Two of the Following:
- No beverages are sold in plastic bottles.
- A discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, container, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts are in place.
Restaurants that meet all 10 criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level OFR.
Visit Our Chapter’s Ocean Friendly Restaurants!
Interested in becoming a
Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant?
Here are marketing assets that come with being a member:
- Your restaurant on the NWS Surfrider Website
- NWS Surfrider email listserv & newsletter updates
- Events: launch parties, beach cleanups, etc
- Social media posts on Instagram and Facebook
- Support from local chapter members